Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Diving Competition

1951 was an interesting year.  Not only was I near the centre of a bank robbery (which I mentioned in another blog), a couple of months earlier  I had entered a diving competition at the Avenue H swimming pool in Saskatoon which had a surprise outcome.

 I will explain that I have always been an athletic wannabe.  That is someone who loves sports but is awkward and not terribly good at any of them. Since I am now a senior I can finally admit it.  There was never a sport (within reason) that I didn't try and there was never a sport that I excelled in.  It didn't matter, one should never be deprived of being a participant just because they are not a top player, and  for me the fun of the competition was  important.  I tried out for school sports teams and often found myself as the substitute but at least I was part of the team.  The list of my sports activities was endless, softball, volleyball, running, high jump, long jump, swimming, diving, figure skating, badminton and even table tennis.  With this as my background, I will now bring you up to the summer of 1951.

Saskatoon 16 years and under girls award
 A Saskatchewan swimming and diving competition had been scheduled for the Avenue H Pool ( now called  the Riverdale Pool) and when I read the list of events  I was excited.  Competitors would be coming from all over the province. and for me the 16 years  and under girls competition would be perfect.    Lots of people could do flips and somersaults and dives with strange names but I figured that at least I could do three dives, as required in the competition. There were about a dozen competitors, and when my turn came,  I chose a plain, head first dive from the high board, a touch my toes before hitting the water as my second dive, then my  piece de resistance, a back dive from the low board as my third dive.  I gave it my all but as I watched the other competitors I knew I was not in their league. Finally, I headed home knowing I had enjoyed myself and that was what mattered.

An hour or so later, I received a phone call from the judge at the pool asking me to return for the presentation.  I asked what presentation and was told that I had won the cup for the best Saskatoon competitor in the 16 years and under girls diving competition.  It was a new trophy and this was the first year it was being awarded.  I couldn't believe it nor could my parents.  We all thought it was a mistake, but dutifully headed over to the pool in time for the presentation.  Lo and behold, my name was called and I went up and received a beautiful trophy as well as a smaller trophy which was to keep as a permanent memento.
Keepsake trophy

Now I knew I was not a good diver and was so puzzled by the receipt of this trophy that I located the judge and asked what had happened.  She whispered to me quietly, "You were the only Saskatoon entry in the 16 and under girls competition."

Talk about a life lesson, unless you try you will never know what brass ring might be out there just waiting to be grabbed.